The charts titled "Standard Petrol Price Trend", "Premium Petrol Price Trend" and “Diesel Price Trend” indicate three prices:
- Auto-fuel pump prices after walk-in discounts less duty (if applicable)
- Auto-fuel monthly average import prices
- Brent crude oil prices
(1) Auto-fuel pump prices after walk-in discounts less duty (if applicable): refer to the retail prices (auto-fuel pump prices after walk-in discounts) less government duty offered at petrol filling stations, which are referenced from information published by respective oil companies. (Note: The Government has levied the same duty of $6.06/L on petrol since 1998, while that for Euro V diesel is zero at present)
(2) Auto-fuel monthly average import prices: refer to the monthly average import prices of the following auto-fuels, which are provided by the Census and Statistics Department on a monthly basis:
- HKHS Code 27101203:
Motor spirit (gasoline), unleaded, having a research octane number not less than 98, not containing biodiesel, other than waste oils
- HKHS Code 27101941:
Light diesel oil containing by weight not more than 0.001% of sulphur, not containing biodiesel, other than waste oils
(3) Brent crude oil prices: Extracted from the Hong Kong Economic Times newspaper
For the charts titled “Past Auto-fuel Price Trend”, the symbols "A", "B", "D", "F" and "G" denoted five oil companies (Note: the symbols are unrelated to the alphabetical order of the oil companies).
B. Auto Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
The charts of "Auto LPG Price Trend" show the average retail price of auto LPG.
By means of random sampling, monthly enquiries or on-site observations from different petrol filling stations of the oil companies in Hong Kong are performed to collect information on the retail price of auto LPG. Average retail price of each oil company is derived from the data collected.
The Consumer Council publishes information on the price of auto LPG to reflect the extent of competition in the market, rather than assessing the pricing strategies of individual oil companies. The charts use the symbols "A", "B", "D", "F", "G" and "H" to indicate the auto LPG data of six brands (Note: the symbols are unrelated to the alphabetical order of the oil companies/LPG brand names).